header image
Home arrow Appeals and Campaigns arrow Goverment Petition Launched: Canada Stop Fueling the War on Yemen
Goverment Petition Launched: Canada Stop Fueling the War on Yemen PDF Print E-mail
Jan 25, 2021 at 09:34 PM

Just released, today, January 25, 2021.

Petition sponsored by NDP Hamilton Center Member of Parliament Matthew Green. 

Just Peace Advocates is pleased to join as an ally with the Yemeni Community in Canada and others in sharing this petition.

Canadian residents are asked to sign:

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3122

Petition to the Government of Canada

Sign Petition here

Whereas:
  • According to the UN, the humanitarian crisis in Yemen remains the worst in the world with 24.3 million (80% of the population), including 12.2 million children, needing humanitarian assistance;
  • According to UNICEF, a Yemeni child dies every 10 minutes from preventable war-related causes, and 85,000+ have already died;
  • Thousands of schools have closed and more than 2 million children are not in school;
  • The humanitarian crisis has been exacerbated by the blockade imposed by Saudi Arabia on Sana’a Airport and Hudaydah Port;
  • The port city of Hudaydah, where 70% of imports enter the country, is under relentless attack from airstrikes and naval ships. Houses, farms, livestock, businesses, roads, medical facilities and water facilities have all been hit;
  • As of September 9, 2020, a panel of independent experts monitoring the conflict for the UN have publicly named Canada as one of the countries helping fuel the war in Yemen; and
  • Images of what appear to be captured or destroyed Canadian-made light armoured vehicles (LAVs) have been publicized.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:

1) Halt arms shipments to Saudi Arabia immediately and ensure that any future arms transfers fully comply with Canada’s international legal obligations under the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty;
2) Participate in international efforts to bring an immediate end to the deliberate Saudi-led attacks on civilians which constitute war crimes; and
3) Demand and support international partners in lifting the siege on Sana’a Airport and Hudaydah Port in order to deliver humanitarian assistance;


Next>
Driver who sparked Acre riots: I'd sacrifice myself to bring back coexistence

Haaretz Sunday, October 12, 2008

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1028249.html

By Jack Khoury, Haaretz Correspondent, and Reuters

The Arab man who drove into a Jewish neighborhood in Acre on the eve of Yom Kippur, sparking a series of riots and violent clashes, told the Knesset Committee of the Interior on Sunday that he would "sacrifice his neck" to bring coexistence back to the bi-national nothern city.

"If what I did caused this, I am ready to sacrifice my neck right here on this table, on lowered gallows, just to return peace and quiet back to the city of Acre, to bring co-existence back to its place.

Jamal said that contrary to the accusations brought against him, he had not been drunk nor playing loud music when he entered the Jewish neighborhood last Wednesday. "I just wanted to go home, I made and mistake and tried to ask for forgiveness. This has been a harrowing experience."

He also said that he had been one of the founders of a community co-existence committee in Acre: "We invented co-existence," he said. "They have made me out to be a murderer, they've turned me into a fascist. We are not Nazis, we are not fascists.

Read more...
Who's Online
We have 33 guests online