header image
Home arrow Israeli Apartheid Structures arrow Hundreds of Palestinian, Israeli, and International Activists March for Justice for Harun Abu Aram
Hundreds of Palestinian, Israeli, and International Activists March for Justice for Harun Abu Aram PDF Print E-mail
Jan 08, 2021 at 12:00 AM

Updates: https://www.facebook.com/AllThatsLeftCollective/posts/4947144862027511  

South Hebron Hills, West Bank – On Friday morning, two hundred Palestinian, Israeli, and international activists demonstrated in the village of A-Rakeez, following the shooting of 24-year-old Harun Abu Aram on 1 January 2021 by an Israeli soldier in the Palestinian village of A-Rakeez. The shooting has left him paralyzed and in critical condition at a Palestinian hospital in the nearby city of Hebron. 

Demonstrators marched along the road from the site of the shooting last week. Protestors demanded justice for the shooting, with signs saying “Stop the Killing. Stop the Hate;” “Stop Demolishing our Homes;” and “Justice for Harun.” The army declared the area a closed military zone - although refused to show the order - and attempted to disperse protestors with tear gas, stun grenades, and physical force. Despite the army’s continued efforts to prevent the march , demonstrators carried on up the road. 

The demonstration took place a day after the IDF claimed that their own initial investigation found that the shooting was unintentional, a claim which eyewitnesses dispute. According to Palestinians who were there, the shooting, at close range, was intentional and the soldiers fired 17 additional rounds, even shooting the car that arrived to take Abu Aram for medical treatment. 


A community leader in his 70s from a nearby village, Hajj Suleiman, was injured during the demonstration. Eyewitnesses saw a soldier hold him down with his knee. He is receiving medical treatment at a local clinic. 


Harun Abu Aram was shot during an army raid to confiscate building equipment while he was rebuilding winter shelter following a series of demolitions in A-Rakeez in November 2020. Palestinian communities in the occupied territories have experienced an escalation in demolitions and confiscations of infrastructure in 2020. For decades, the villages of the South Hebron Hills have faced ongoing pressures from systematic Israeli efforts to push them off their lands, including violence, harassment from settlers, and home demolitions. These days the Palestinian residents of Masafer Yatta (Firing Zone 918) await a verdict from the High Court which might approve Israel’s use of the territory as a live Firing Zone and allow the forcible transfer of more than 1000 people.


This extreme use of violence is indicative of Israel’s concerted efforts to depopulate the South Hebron Hills, threatening the lives and livelihoods of Palestinians who have lived in this region for generations. Meanwhile, construction continues without interference in illegal Israeli settlements and outposts across the occupied territories, including the nearby outposts of Avigayil and Ma’on Farm. 


Basil Adara, resident of next door A-Tuwani village said, “The Israeli army and civil administration deploy apartheid policies to evacuate us from our land - refusing 98.7% of our building permit requests and demolishing our homes, while granting Israeli outposts with masterplans.  Harun was shot trying to defend his family’s right to their home, their dignity, and their livelihoods. We are demonstrating today to demand an end to the systematic violence against human beings and our homes.” 


Samiha Hureini, a Palestinain activist from Youth of Sumud in the South Hebron Hills, said, “We are demonstrating today in response to the crime committed against Harun Abu Aram last Friday, and we are sending a message to the occupation: stop the crimes, stop shooting us, and stop violating our human rights. Free Palestine and end the occupation.” 
 

Karen Isaacs, a Jerusalem-based activist said, “We are here in solidarity with Harun, his family, and the community’s steadfast efforts to stay in their homes. Despite the army lying about what happened last Friday, any person with an open mind and conscience can realize that what happened to Harun was a tragic and unjust act of violence. We are here to make it clear that we are not going to accept the army’s lie and we will continue to stand with the community to demand justice.

<Previous   Next>
Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians slams Canadian Jewish Congress exclusion

PRESS  RELEASE          For immediate Release            2007-07-03
 
The Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians responded today, to the decision by the Canadian Jewish Congress to deny membership to the progressive Jewish group. The CJC issued a letter which gave no reason for its decision.

“The decision by the Canadian Jewish Congress to exclude the Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians illustrates the sectarian orientation of the forces controlling that organization,” declared ACJC Administrative Secretary Abraham Weizfeld. “The rejection of our application to become a member of the Canadian Jewish Congress and the refusal seat our delegates at the CJC Plenary on June 17th amounts to a refusal to acknowledge growing Jewish opposition to the Israeli occupation and siege of the Palestinian territories.”

“CJC’s refusal to include all tendencies in the Jewish community should be seen as a futile attempt to marginalize growing Jewish opposition to Israel’s behaviour and to the exclusive character of the Israel State,” Weizfeld continued.

 He contended that this refusal also motivated the decision by the June 17 plenary of the Canadian Jewish Congress to annul the process of conducting elections to the Board of Directors. As a result of this decision, the Board will now have 25% of its seats reserved for the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy which controls the CJC funding agency, the United Jewish Appeal. Weizfeld explained that these organizations provide unquestioning support to Israel, regardless of what it does.

The resulting vote on a resolution to amend the CJC constitution with regard to election of officers may not have passed if the Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians’ delegates had been included.

“We do not share in the uncritical support for Israel,” Weizfeld stated. “It is our position that the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, which began in 1967, must end immediately. This is the view that the ACJC wanted to bring to the Canadian Jewish Congress and that the CJC leadership was determined to ignore.” The refusal to hear our independent voice is proof that the CJC is not a body representative of diverse currents in Canada's Jewish population.

“It is essential that Israel and the Palestinians – including the duly elected Prime Minister Haniyeh – begin negotiations to conclude a lasting peace without prior conditions from either side. Only this approach can put an end to this ongoing tragedy for both the Palestinian and Israeli communities,” he concluded.

Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians
Alliance de Canadien/nes juif/ves concerné/es
68, av. Duluth est
Montréal QC H2W 1G8 Canada
(514) 284-6642

ACJC2006@yahoo.ca
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ACJC2006

Who's Online
We have 28 guests online