header image
Home
About
Events
News
Get Involved
Search
Contact Us
Resources
CanPalNet Publications
Reviews
Links
Focus on...
Anti-Semitism
BDS
Canada
Censorship
Controversies surrounding...
Gaza
The Israel Lobby
Israeli Apartheid Structures
Labour
Lies My Media Told Me
Not a peace process
Palestinian Elections 2006
Related Items
Archive
Syndicate
Home arrow Canada and the Middle East arrow The NDP’s simmering civil war over Gaza
The NDP’s simmering civil war over Gaza PDF Print E-mail
Jul 16, 2014 at 06:50 PM

There’s something rotten in the state of Canada’s kumbaya party. For generations, the NDP — with its almost evangelical roots — has promoted an image of itself as the party of peace, harmony and understanding.

Kiss that mirage goodbye. I’ve spent the past few days probing what amounts to a declaration of war between a banned aspiring nominee, his aggrieved supporters and the NDP’s operatives in Ottawa — who have morphed, it appears, into the evasive, secretive Harperites that holier-than-thou New Democrats take such pleasure in bashing.

It’s all getting rather ugly, with veiled and not-so-veiled accusations of smears, innuendo and muzzling flying halfway across the continent in phone calls, letters and emails. The irony is that the trigger for this internecine political war may or may not be (depending on whose version you believe) the latest deadly spasm of violence between besieged Palestinians in Gaza and frightened Israelis.

This bitter skirmish also has revealed smouldering discontent — particularly on social media — with the party’s and NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair’s muted response to the disproportionate toll suffered by Palestinians in Gaza.

The man in the middle of this brewing conflict is Paul Manly, a documentarian, musician and rejected candidate for a party nomination in traditionally NDP-friendly British Columbia. Manly insists he’s the victim of a “smear” perpetrated by senior NDP officials in Ottawa.

Read full article: http://www.ipolitics.ca/2014/07/16/the-ndps-simmering-civil-war-over-gaza/

<Previous   Next>
Driver who sparked Acre riots: I'd sacrifice myself to bring back coexistence

Haaretz Sunday, October 12, 2008

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1028249.html

By Jack Khoury, Haaretz Correspondent, and Reuters

The Arab man who drove into a Jewish neighborhood in Acre on the eve of Yom Kippur, sparking a series of riots and violent clashes, told the Knesset Committee of the Interior on Sunday that he would "sacrifice his neck" to bring coexistence back to the bi-national nothern city.

"If what I did caused this, I am ready to sacrifice my neck right here on this table, on lowered gallows, just to return peace and quiet back to the city of Acre, to bring co-existence back to its place.

Jamal said that contrary to the accusations brought against him, he had not been drunk nor playing loud music when he entered the Jewish neighborhood last Wednesday. "I just wanted to go home, I made and mistake and tried to ask for forgiveness. This has been a harrowing experience."

He also said that he had been one of the founders of a community co-existence committee in Acre: "We invented co-existence," he said. "They have made me out to be a murderer, they've turned me into a fascist. We are not Nazis, we are not fascists.

Read more...
Who's Online
We have 20 guests online