header image
Home arrow Resources arrow News arrow Gaza's Ark organizers remain determined after attack
Gaza's Ark organizers remain determined after attack PDF Print E-mail
Apr 30, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Gaza's Ark was badly damaged and partially sunk by a large explosion  at about 3:45 AM Gaza time on April 29th. No-one was injured. Mustafa Abu Awad, the guard who was on duty at the time, was taken to the hospital for tests and he has now been discharged.

The Ark was in the port of Gaza being readied to put to sea in June. Whether and when the boat can be repaired is something we will not know for sure until it can be pulled out of the water for inspection.

Awad said he had been warned to leave the area by an anonymous caller. "I was [sleeping] near the boat and someone phoned me -- an unidentified caller. I answered and he told me: 'Mustafa, leave the boat right now because we are going to blow it up.'"
The Gaza's Ark project has been working for more than a year to prepare the boat to carry goods and passengers in the attempt to challenge Israel's blockade of Gaza. If successful, it would be the first time goods from Gaza have been exported by sea since 1994.

"This is a reckless and violent attack not only on a boat, but on thousands of supporters and donors worldwide," says David Heap of the Gaza's Ark Steering Committee. "We are closely following the police investigation of the attack and hope to know soon if the boat can be repaired." 

"What is certain is that we remain committed to continue challenging the blockade by any peaceful means available until it is lifted permanently," adds Robert Naiman, another Steering Committee member. "Hope and justice are unsinkable."

Less than 24 hours before this attack, Gaza's Ark launched an international petition calling on the UN to act to lift the blockade. The appeal was signed by parliamentarians, Nobel Laureates, and other prominent figures from many countries, and now has more than 7,500 signatories from around the world. We strongly encourage our supporters to respond to this attack by signing, sharing and re-sharing our petition:
 
<Previous   Next>
Dichter cancels U.K. trip over fears of 'war crimes' arrest
By Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent
Haaretz.
Dec. 6, 2007

Public Security Minister Avi Dichter canceled a trip to Britain over concerns he would be arrested due to his involvement in the decision to assassinate the head of Hamas' military wing in July 2002.

Fifteen people were killed in the bombing of Salah Shehade's house in Gaza, among them his wife and three children, when Dichter was head of the Shin Bet security service. He is the first minister to have to deal with a possible arrest.

Dichter was invited to take part in a conference by a British research institute on "the day after" Annapolis. He was supposed to give an address on the diplomatic process.
Dichter contacted the Foreign Ministry and sought an opinion on the matter, among other reasons because of previous cases in which complaints were filed in Britain and arrest warrants were issued on suspicion of war crimes by senior officers who served during the second intifada.

The Foreign Ministry wrote Dichter that it did not recommend he visit Britain because of a high probability that an extreme leftist organization there would file a complaint, which might lead to an arrest warrant. The ministry also wrote that because Dichter was not an official guest of the British government, he did not have immunity from arrest.

Read full article...